As unpleasant as cleaning a bathroom extractor fan seems, it’s usually a job that can be done in about 20 minutes. And trust us, spending a little time regularly maintaining the fan can save you a lot of headaches in the future.
So, let’s learn how to clean a bathroom extractor fan.
If this sounds familiar:
- You’re having problems with mould in your bathroom;
- Your extractor fan is noisy;
- You haven’t cleaned out your bathroom fan in a while.
Then keep reading, because this blog post will teach you how to tackle this issue!
Why you should clean your extractor fan
The extractor fan plays an important role in keeping your bathroom in good shape, when it does its job, it protects the room from moisture and prevents the appearance of mould and mildew.
However, you need to clean extractor fans every once in a while to allow them to function properly.
If you let dust and grime gather inside the fan, it won’t be able to extract the moisture from the room. What’s more, it might lead to the build-up of mould not only in your bathroom but in the fan itself. This will only circulate the fungi spores around the room.
Mould and mildew can be extremely harmful to your health. Cleaning the bathroom extractor fan will help protect you from them and will keep the room dry and smelling fresh. Not to mention how much quieter the fan will be once you get rid of all the dust that’s gathered inside.
Make sure to clean out the bathroom extractor fan at least once every six months.
What you need
- Bucket of warm soapy water
- Old toothbrush
- Vacuum cleaner
- Protective gear (gloves, face mask, etc.)
- Old sheets or newspapers
- Step ladder
How to clean a bathroom extractor fan
After you have prepared everything you need, it’s time to put on your cleaning gloves and get down to business.
Here is how to clean an extractor fan in the bathroom:
Time needed: 20 minutes.
- Turn off the power.Before you begin, make sure to turn off the main power to your bathroom. This is very important, as it will keep you safe while working and prevent electrocution.
- Lay down protective sheets.Place some old sheets or newspapers below the fan to catch all the built-up dirt and dust that will fall out.
- Remove the extractor fan cover.Your fan is probably installed high up on the wall or ceiling, so use a step ladder. You may need to unscrew the cover to remove it. In some cases, there might be spring clips that you’ll have to undo.
- Clean the cover.Use the duster or a cloth to wipe the dust off the fan cover. If there is a build-up of dirt or grime, soak it in a separate bucket of warm soapy water.
- Take out the extractor fan unit.Carefully unplug and remove the extractor fan assembly from its housing.
- Dust the fan blades.Using the duster, clean the extractor fan blades. You can use a vacuum cleaner here, as well.
- Wipe the fan with soapy water.Dip a cloth in soapy water and give the fan a good wipe. Use an old toothbrush to scrub off more stubborn grime. Try to clean both sides of the fan blades.
- Vacuum the fan housing.Vacuum any dust away from the housing and the vent. If possible, vacuum the vent cover on the outside of your house, as well.
- Rinse the cover.Take the fan cover out of the bucket and scrub the dirt off with a cloth. Rinse with warm water.
- Dry the parts.Using a clean towel, dry the fan and the cover. If needed, let the components air dry.
- Assemble the fan.Once everything is completely dry, put the fan and the cover back together. Make sure everything is in place.
- Test the fan.Turn the power back on and test the fan to see if it works. It should be a lot quieter now that all the dust and grime has been cleaned up.
Need help cleaning your bathroom?
Why not let the professionals help? Shining Oven offers a bathroom cleaning service service that can take care of all areas of your home, including the bathroom.
The experienced cleaners will help rid your home of grime and leave it looking and smelling fresh. They come equipped with all the tools and materials they need. The cleaning is done using professional equipment and products that are safe for you and your family.
Save time to do the things you enjoy. Simply book now using our online form and choose a time that suits your schedule!